Monday, October 25, 2010

Back in Mexico!

I'll be updating this blog again with my thoughts about anything in Mexico from economy to sports to simple particularities and eccentricities of the people. To kick things off, I'll start with a quick perception about food vendors on the street.

It's hard to find a better lunch deal than tacos for 3 pesos(25 cents) or sopes for 6 pesos and, for me, finding a cheap and hearty meal is akin to Warren Buffett finding his next million dollar investment.

But here's the interesting part. Every taco vendor I've encountered has been a guy while every sope vendor was a woman. I can't see any inherent reason for this other than it being cultural. Tacos and sopes are not that different. Nevertheless, it's an incredibly stark contrast.

I'll post more if I gain any insight into this.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm i would be interested on more info on the gendered aspect of this. why/how is this divided along gendered lines? lemme know if you figure it out....

    ReplyDelete